Saturday 5 October 2019

NYCC 2019 - Day 3.




Today started off strangely. I was sat reading a Defenders comic and minding my own business when I realised I was being watched by a Mafia Hitman posing as a Balloon Salesman! I then headed into the Convention Centre wearing the obligatory noise cancelling headphones. I was stopped by a short woman with blue hair. I became aware of her talking at me. I removed my headphones and said;

Me - ‘Sorry, are you talking to me’.

Blue Haired Lady - ‘Yes.’

I made that face that invited her to repeat/continue what she was saying.

Blue Haired Lady - ‘Do we have to line-up or can we just walk in. I can see people walking about.’

(At this point we were standing in a very long queue.)

Me - ‘No, you have to line-up with everyone else.’

Blue Haired Lady - ‘Are you sure?’

(I put my noise cancelling headphones back on.....)



(Main Hall - Back Issue Area - twenty minutes after opening).

Once I got through the long wait online I went straight upstairs to the back issue area. It was surprisingly quiet for the first couple of hours and a good time to shop. 

Then after popping to the Hilda table for a quick chat I made my way over to the Small Press area.



My first stop was a chat with those creative maniacs from the ‘Man Vs. Rock’ title. I bagged an interview for the podcast with these two men and they told me about an all ages Furry Comic they have released (the mind boggles). The current troubled times are certainly ripe for the kind of satire that this company revels within, always keep an eye on these men! Head over to http://www.manvsrock.com/ and browse their own particular form of psychedelia!


I then finally met up with Ben Slabak and his wife. I read and reviewed Exilium on the podcast about six months ago and it’s an exciting mix of Alienation and space adventure. Ben had travelled all the way to New York from Sydney. I also got an interview for a future episode of The Awesome Comics Podcast. You can find Ben’s work over at https://benslabak.com/

I then took solace in the Original Art area and here are some of the pages that I marvelled over.







The Hilda table was extra busy all day long and we have been blown away with the enthusiasm and knowledge of the fans of the comics and the series. Whilst at the table I finally met with Clare from the Fandemonium Network. She’s a great fan of pop culture and comics. She also writes a mean review. Look out for her writing over at https://fandemoniumnetwork.com/

I then headed out of the Javitt’s Centre and met up with Cliff Cumber. This was the historical first meeting between us as we are working on a comic that will be getting a release at the start of next year. Cliff is a great artist who I have dubbed ‘The Frank Quitely of the Small Press’. You can find more of his art over at https://www.instagram.com/cgcumber/ He also has a mean taste in T Shirts! We grabbed some dinner with the Mighty Sarah Harris before I hit the showers.



A top day......one more to go.







No comments:

Post a Comment