Thursday 16 August 2018

A Ramble.....





So....


Ramble of the week.


I’ve been reading a lot of old comics. I’ve been looking at some Warlords and Defenders comics. Then I listened to my Pod brother Vincenzo Hunt talking with Gareth Hopkins on his Alpha Flight podcast. They talked about an issue of Marvel Two-In-One which featured the Thing and Sasquatch.


It brought home to me two things.


  1. I wish there were more comics you could pick up and read and not really be that bothered about what the next issue holds.  And...
  2. I miss comics that were just two characters punching fuck out of each other.


I grew up on the Herb Trimpe Incredible Hulks that were essentially a monster/creature/alien/villain of the week that the Hulk could fight with. Some great characters. Some of my favourites were The Cobalt Man, Hammer and Anvil, The Devastator, The Abomination, Doc Samson, The Golem and The Glob. I started on this series in the Marvel UK weekly The Mighty World of Marvel and ate it up every time my dad brought it home after mass on a Sunday.




Look at some of these ace designs!





But.


I worry.


How far away are we from some attention seeking princess saying that all the fighting in comics makes them sad or anxious or that it shouldn’t be allowed. Just look out for comments like;


Boxing should be banned and so should all the fighting in superhero comics’.


Or...


‘Why is it that men like reading about needless and bloodthirsty fighting.’


Or....


There’s a lot more to write about in comics than fighting, perhaps we should rest that trope for a while.’ (PS anyone who says trope is normally a twat by the way.)


What I’m saying is that I’m not a fan of people getting sad but that is rarely the motivation of people waving a ‘Look At ME!’ flag on the internet. Some people love to say something and think (yes ‘think’ aka ‘delude’ themselves ) that this is their new reason d’etre. That they are the lone freedom fighter in an unfair and facist world. They are in the underground, fighting the oppressive overlords. They are the lone voice of true morality. They are our saviours. They are the Ethical Messiah risen to lead the world to a new era of goodness.


They ain’t.


They are cunts.


They are normally people stuck behind a computer. Not doing anything that actually helps anyone in any real sense.


I just like watching monsters/people/aliens/animals punching each other.


And I will fight your irradiated hide to maintain my freedom to watch made up people pummel reach other!


Who is with me!


Tony ‘Tooting Popular Front’ Esmond.



PS. If you are rallying to either side of the debate just remember that I made the argument up. It hasn’t happened (as far as I know) except on this page that I made up over an early morning coffee!


Evidence that this can be done.


I’ve got to get off I have a clock to wind up.




Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment