Friday 4 October 2019

NYCC 2019 - Day 2.



Today was pretty great in the cocooned world of the New York Comic Convention and in my own private corner. I started off with the usual Olympic level ‘standing in a queue timed event’ surrounded by mouth breathing imbeciles. This experience actually bucked the Status Quo as I saw someone reading a comic on their phone. As I peeked a little more however I noticed that he was reading it on a pirate site! Baby steps?




I then headed to Terry Moore’s table and picked up a copy of his book ‘How to Draw’ for my pal Stuart Mulrain. Terry is the consummate professional and an example to all self-publishers everywhere. If you haven’t ever read ‘Strangers In Paradise’ I’d highly recommend picking up a copy.




I then headed over to Matt and Brennan Wagner’s table only to find that they weren’t there but their art dealer was sat with fat folders of art. This guy was Jim Warden and it turned out that he also represented John Byrne! So...... I only flaming went and bought a John Byrne page! Listen, I know it’s not a classic page or anything but it is Byrne! That’s all you need to know. You can find more pages that Jim has for sale at www.whatashock.com/doasales



While I was buying expensive art Brennan Wagner turned up and we chatted it up about the most recent Grendel series that he coloured for his father. I bought the above prints from him without a thought. Brennan is a funny guy and a real up and comer in the art stakes. I read ‘Grendel: Devil’s Odyssey’ issue 1 on the flight over here and it has some real Heavy Metal/Epic Magazine touches about it’s art and story. It’s a series I have no hesitation in recommending.




I also managed to get my hands on this Master of Kung Fu print by Jim Starlin. I’m hoping to catch up with him in the next couple of days to get it signed.




I then tracked down Michael Fiffe and got a signed copy off the first issue of the new ‘Copra’ series that is now released through Image Comics. It’s a great first issue and more of the excellent story and art I’m used to with this series. The paper seems to have been chosen carefully and is an uncoated heavy stock that really suits the subject matter.

In amongst the big crowds I also got to spend some time with Jason Wood, Vince Bon and David Price from the 11 O’Clock Comics podcast. One of the best and most popular pods out there they are also great champions of us at Nobrow.




I then headed upstairs to the main floor and put in some time at the Hilda stall before heading off and interviewing the MIGHTY Enrico Marini. Easily one of the best artists out there and someone that I’ve only really discovered in the last few years I’m glad to tell you that he is also an absolute gent. The interview was arranged by Irina from Europe Comics. If you’ve never met or chatted online to Irina you are really missing out. She is one of the most enthusiastic and informed people I know. Almost every week she recommends great European Comics to myself, Dan and Vince from The Awesome Comics podcast. Got to give her a big thanks for really making this particular fan’s day!



Is also got this great sketch from Enrico in a French Edition of The Eagles of Rome....more news on that particular book coming up on the podcast soon.



Whilst at the Europe Comics stall I also got chatting to Edanur Kuntman who had preview copies of ‘Tales Behind The Window’. Edanur is a Turkish creator who has recently has this book translated into English by Europe Comics. She also, very kindly, did me a sketch in Her great new book.

I then spent the rest of my Convention Day 2 working with Sam, Geoff and Jake at the Hilda table. The books are flying out at a rate it’s hard to keep up with. If you’re about pop by and say hi - we’re at Table 2063.

I have now resigned myself to only spend time in the Back Issues/Original Art section of the main floor and in Artists Alley for my spare time for the rest of the convention. I’ve never cared for video games, crap prints, toys, cosplayers etc and have recently become very bored hearing about movies and tv series. So for the next couple of days it’ll only be about comics.

As it should be!

Tomorrow I’ll be meeting Mr Clifford Q. Cumber for the first time. Tony Osmond is coming at you really soon and REALLY violently. Watch this space. Cliff is a real talent and it’s a pleasure to be working with him.





Many thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment