Sunday 8 December 2019

Finally Wham BAM - It’s my haul. (Part 1)

It was BAM at The Komedia in Baththis past weekend and a fine old time was had by all. I shifted a few copies of The Whore Chronicles, Cyn, Making Comics With Springworth and The Spark and shared a table with podcast brother Vincent Hunt. The day was possibly more on the whole like a local Zine Fair and there was a lot of great art, zines, comics and experimentation on show. 

I was tabling for the podcast and not for Nobrow on this rare occasion and found it to be a chuckle fest and social kind of event. I didn’t really get round to have a proper chat with everyone so apologies. (Everyone did seem impressed that I wore a tie though so I suppose that’s a plus?)

Antony is a little tired this morning....




I travelled down with Mr Adam Falp and he gave me this great sketch he’d done at his table. Watch this space in the new year for something pretty nutty that he and I have been working on..... 

Meanwhile go and grab a copy of Satan’s Library whilst stocks last. You can find him at https://www.adamfalp.com/ Or follow him on Twitter @adamfalp

Otherwise, I thought I’d share some of the purchases, gifts and swaps I got at the event.



First up is My Cherie Jane issue 1. This is a love letter to the actress, model and musician Jane Birkin from Raechel Leigh Carter (with some lovely design work by Dave Tinkham). This is quite the Zine and is A4, perfect-bound and full of interesting articles and photographs that I had never seen before.  It also oozes both coolness and affection for it’s subject matter. I also now want to watch The Idol as it was in part filmed in my home town!

You can follow RLC on Twitter @tinynoggin and at https://tinynoggin.wordpress.com/ She makes comics and zines unlike anything you’ll find out there and are always fun, wacky and informatively beautiful to read and own. 

Raechel (RLC) was also one of the organisers of the day and put on a great event that involved much hilarity and vegan sweets! I had an absolute blast and was ruined the day after!



It was great to see one of my collaborators on The Whore Chronicles at the event. Rik Jackson was there selling his excellent psychedelic detective series Heads as well as his other self published books. He kindly passed me the above two zines.

Three Panels of What is a project that he and his son Dylan worked and and actually got it’s theoretical birth at the BAM event in May this year. Rik drew three panels randomly and handed them over to his Dylan to write a story around what he saw. He would then in turn write three panels of undirected dialogue and hand them back to his Dad to interpret. Pretty Cool Huh!

Rik also gifted me his Horror Movie character inspired Inktober collection. It was great to see his drawing of Blade from the Puppet Master franchise that I suggested on Twitter! Rik is an enthusiastic and inventive artist and writer and also never appeared on an episode of Heartbeat in the nineties (long story).

Find Rik over on Twitter @gojacksongo and buy his stuff over at https://rikjackson.co.uk/



I swapped a copy of The Whore Chronicles with the mighty Paul Ashley Brown for a copy of his new comic Bonbon Fabrika and I’m really pleased that I did.

This is a small A5 black and white self published comic that reads like Micky and Donald (yes, those ones) lived in the world of Tijuana Bibles after crossing through the pages of Private Eye. It travels roughshod over the sensitive feelings of the politically righteous on all sides of the divide and is at once transgressive and hilariously irreverent and also diabolically relevant. Fun with firearms, rampant perversions (your mileage may vary), hard intravenous drug use, satirically subverted cartoon characters and political allegory fill this fucking glorious book!

Highly recommended and my favourite book of the day!

Find Paul over on Instagram @paulashleybrown and at his website https://www.paulashleybrown.co.uk/



More to follow.

Many thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment