Tuesday 21 May 2019

‘The Experts’ by Sophie Franz.




‘The Experts’

Created by Sophie Franz.

Published by Retrofit Comics.

Full Colour - 28 pages £1.99 (digital copy) $5.00 (physical copy).


The Story - ‘The Experts is a foreboding story of 3 "experts" on an isolated station, investigating the strange water creatures that live in the area, even as the investigators lose touch with their superiors and even what exactly they are doing at the base.’

‘Before the fog rolled in.’

The Review - This is some crazy fucked up shit! What kind of cheese had Sophie Franz been eating before bedtime to produce this unnerving and disturbing story.

Some of the moments in this short comic are straight out of an anxiety dream that I could now have CAUSED BY YOU RETROFIT COMICS!

Some examples;

Pens that don’t seem to have any ink and leave no mark on paper.

Fingers being bitten off by strange mutant fish.

Amphibious grinning humanoids who watch you from the ocean.

Trusting dogs to get in a rowing boat and go do the weekly shopping.

My head has turned into a fish!

Why, oh why!




What kind of makes it all too real is the clean line and straightforward art style that Sophie employs on this book. Nothing takes place at night or in the shadows. All that weird stuff is full and in your face.

This book also speaks to how loneliness can cause you to lose your mind. This so-called scientific team are unable now to know what is reality as they float helplessly in the middle of the sea surrounded by strangeness and with mostly Baby Food to eat.

‘I’ve either lost something or I’m lost.’

This was a sinister and possibly prophetic read. I really enjoyed that stories like this take chances and for the most part pull off that mood and tone. I think what had put me off reading this initially, a fact I now regret and wish I’d jumped in earlier, was the slightly under-rendered cover. It seems neither iconic and mondo nor detailed and scary. A small matter nonetheless.

Highly recommended.




I’ve had this for a while to review and keep meaning to get round to looking at it. I may have made the mistake of reading it whilst on a bout of jet lag induced insomnia sitting in a hotel lounge at 2am.

I am also currently very eerily near the sea. I’ll be back in a minute...........


Whilst you are waiting for me to return to my towel and clothes why not pop over to https://retrofit.storenvy.com/collections/936408-retrofit-comics-print/?page=2 and buy yourself a copy.

It’s also available on ComiXology here https://www.comixology.co.uk/The-Experts/digital-comic/381925?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvdGFibGV0L2dyaWRMaXN0L09uZVNob3Rz

You can follow this company on Twitter @Retrofitcomics 

You can also find the creator Sophie Franz on Twitter failing to tweet @sophie_franz (I’m a little concerned she’s taken a boat trip.)


Many thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment