Sunday 5 May 2019

In Review - ‘Hello, Dolly!’ From John Tucker.




‘Hello Dolly’

By John Tucker.

(A limited production for Free Comic Book Day - 2019).


Story - I wasn’t expecting that!


‘Goodness gracious, Oh Lord in Heaven. I just can’t believe it!’ - Dolly Levi.


Review - Barbara Streisand does not appear in this comic and does not sing or wear a cool hat.

Walter Mathau doesn’t make that curmudgeonly face.

Gene Kelly is not involved.

And to be quite honest I was really quite relieved that Michael Crawford has nothing to do with this short four page zine from prolific comics trickster John Tucker.




It seems that I only have to turn my back for a couple of minutes and Mr Tucker has written, drawn, printed and released another piece of rather peculiar, worryingly transgressive, strangely sexual and brilliantly put together comic.

This one is from a very short print run as;

‘I ran out of toner so there are only four at the moment’ - John Tucker.

I got mine from him yesterday as part of Free Comic Book Day and seeing him at The Awesome Comics Pod Live 200th recording. Yes, ‘F’ you all, mine was ‘Number 1’ of a limited print run.

I think that it’s fair to say that John never, ever does what you expect and you get the sense that he revels in that approach personally. I’ve kept the description on here and the panels I’ve shown to the bare minimum so as not to ruin anything you will find out about this freaky but great little book. As with everything John creates it definitely needs to be experienced with fresh eyes.

The art spends much of it’s time focusing on mad and confused faces before the main act arrives. In a strange way it reminded me of a Welsh suburban working class version of the movie Inbred that came out a few years ago.

Sure it’s only four pages, sure it’s been printed off quickly. Sure it’ll only take you a few minutes to read but it’s free, and funny and made me feel weird in my tummy!




Because I’m limited what I can show on this preview - here’s a photo of John (and John Ottaway at the recording yesterday!) No actual violence was involved (allegedly).

I’m not sure what the currently toner/availability situation with this book is but you can get plenty of other comics from John at http://www.johntucker.co.uk/ and follow him on Twitter @johntuckerart


‘Horace Vandergelder, that is the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me!’ - Dolly Levi.


Many thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment